FOUNDER & CONSULTANT – BS Strategy, Los Angeles CA (2021-present)
Consulting firm supporting health-related initiatives and organizations that improve the health of individuals and their communities.
- Speaker, executive wellness coach and educator facilitating conversations around health, access, social justice, advocacy, and innovation.
- Partners with entrepreneurs and investors to support the creation, funding, and growth of health-related organizations.
- Expertise in relationship building, strategic planning, creating playbooks, due diligence, brainstorming, and study design.
- Identifies areas of unmet need and performs in-depth market research to support strategic recommendations.
DIRECTOR, CROSSIX ANALYTICS SERVICES – Veeva Systems, New York NY (1/2020-11/2021)
Health-focused technology group within Veeva dedicated to advancing healthcare marketing with analytics and innovative planning, targeting, measurement, and optimization solutions.
- Leveraged advanced analytics to help life science brands maximize the impact of their $100M+ marketing budgets.
- Drove market effectiveness with access to the health, health-adjacent (SDOH), and marketing data of 300M+ patients.
- Mentored, grew, and managed a delivery team that achieved a 100% client renewal rate and significant deal growth.
- Veeva Pride Community Talent Acquisition and Recruitment Committee Chair
PRINCIPAL, LIFE SCIENCES – HealthVerity, Philadelphia PA (2018-2019)
Healthtech startup focused on the discovery, licensing and linkage of data.
- Managed partnerships that developed innovative data exchanges and streamlined patient management systems.
- Curated novel data sets, including enterprise-generated and industry-leading health and SDOH patient-level data sources.
- Led business development, sales, and execution on a multi-million dollar client portfolio, driving all stages of opportunity development.
DIRECTOR, ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT – GNS Healthcare, Cambridge MA (2016-2018)
Big data analytics startup focused on applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning (ML) in healthcare.
- Developed partnerships that applied AI and machine learning to accelerate therapeutic development and commercialization for life science companies and optimize patient care for healthcare providers and payers.
- Identified opportunities, created proposals, and led the deployment of advanced analytics solutions in a multi-million dollar portfolio.
- Member of the extended executive team; supported Series C fundraising, investor, and board meetings.
- Devised successful implementation and management plans, prepared forecast reports and managed key sales performance metrics.
MANAGER, BD STRATEGY & RESEARCH SCIENTIST – Precision Health Economics [now PrecisionHEOR], Los Angeles CA (2015-2016)
Research consulting group focused on the economic and social value of treatments and care delivery.
- Quantified the economic and social value of interventions, value-based care, policy initiatives, and patient advocacy.
- Generated evidence to support the use and reimbursement of therapeutics, services and devices.
- Created and implemented BD and go-to-market strategies for sales, marketing and operations teams.
SENIOR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE – Mapi Group [now ICON plc], Boston MA (2012-2015)
Consulting group focused on patient-centred health outcomes research and commercialization.
- Generated evidence to support the approval and reimbursement of therapeutics and devices.
- Led HEOR and SMA research projects conducted for pharmaceutical and biotech clients, proposed and negotiated project contracts, budgets and timelines.
- Managed multidisciplinary, multinational project teams from study inception through completion, including proposal development and the dissemination of study results.
- Developed and advanced methods for demonstrating drug value, safety and effectiveness, HEOR studies, and economic evaluations.
- Developed and disseminated scientifically sound value stories to a variety of healthcare stakeholders.
RESEARCH ASSISTANT – McGill University, Department of Epidemiology and Sociology, Montreal QC (2010-2012)
Research funded by the Canadian Institute of Health Research & Canada Foundation for Innovation.
- Conducted extensive reviews of government healthcare legislation and reports.
- Develop a standardized international research database capturing the healthcare policies of Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries.
- Quantified the health policies and insurance schemes of OECD countries over 20 years, focusing on social inequalities and barriers to healthcare access.
- Analyzed the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of private and publicly funded healthcare services.
RESEARCH ASSISTANT • Centre for Clinical Epidemiology, Jewish General Hospital, Montreal QC (2010-2012)
Research funded by the Canadian Institute of Health Research.
- Wrote grants, protocols and publications for epidemiological studies focused on infectious diseases in immigrant and high-risk populations
- Managed and led collaborative projects between physicians, statisticians, and other researchers.
- Developed standardized manuals and protocol guides for the Canadian Network for Observational Drug Effect Studies (CNODES) research group.
- Conducted advanced statistical analyses such as multivariate analyses, survival analyses, and conditional logistic regressions.
- Organized, cleaned, and analyzed data from large databases such as the UK Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD) database.
LAB MANAGER & RESEARCH ANALYST • Arkansas Bioscience Institute, Jonesboro AR (2009- 2010)
Research funded by the U.S. Department of Defense & National Institute of Health.
- Coordinated projects involving military contractors, academic researchers, clinicians and policymakers.
- Mentored and supervised undergraduate and high school students.
- Managed budgets, contracts, grants and other research-related documents for laboratory and animal projects funded by the US Military and Defense budget and the NIH.
- Led research projects in the fields of neuroscience, nanotechnology, analytical chemistry, and toxicology
- Social Justice Partners Los Angeles (SJPLA) – Partner, Accelerator Coach, Bylaw Committee (2021-present)
- Eat Move Meditate – Board member (2022-present)
- 17 Asset Management – U.N. SDG-aligned Asset Management Sustainable Investing Fellow (2002)
- Coyote Ventures – Women’s Health & Wellness Venture Fellow (2022)
M.Sc. Epidemiology – McGill University, Montreal QC, Canada (2012)
McGill University Principal Graduate Fellow
Canadian Institute of Health Research Trainee in Bridging Scientific Domains in Drug Safety and Effectiveness
Thesis: Metformin and the incidence of colorectal and lung cancer in patients with type 2 diabetes
B.S. Biological Sciences (minor chemistry) – Arkansas State University, Jonesboro AR, USA (2009)
“Who’s Who of Arkansas State University” award recipient
Sunbelt Conference All-academic Team
Semi-Professional Soccer Goalkeeper (1999-2008)
Identified as a member of the Canadian Women’s National Team player pool at age 13 and played at the highest club and university level available at that time for women in North America until retirement.
NCAA Division 1 full scholarship athlete – Arkansas State University
British Columbia Girls Provincial Tournament – Top Goaltender & 1st Team Allstar
Pacific Coast Soccer League – Women’s Challenge Cup Champion & Defender of the Game.
Canadian National Championships – Bronze medal
BC Sports Hall of Fame – Jack Farley Youth Sports Achievement Award
McDonald’s Most Valuable Player Scholarship Recipient
Long Distance Races
2019 Bare Burro 5k
2021 Los Angeles Marathon
2021 Zion National Park 1/2 Marathon
2022 Vancouver Marathon
Certifications & Training
- Durga’s Tiger School of Tantra, Yoga and Shamanism – RYS 200hr Yoga Alliance Teacher Certification
- Social Justice Partners Los Angeles – Anti-racism for White People Course
- American Sailing Association – ASA 101, ASA 103, ASA 104, ASA 106
- PADI Scuba Diving – Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Wreck Diving
- The Royal Conservatory for Music – Grade 8 Examination in Piano
- The Royal Conservatory for Music – Grade 2 Examination in Rudiments, First Class Honors with Distinction
- California Class M1 License – Motorcycle License
- Canadian Lifesaving Society – National Lifeguard – Pool Certification
- Upright Citizens Brigade Improvisational and Sketch Comedy Training Center – Improv 101
- British Columbia Serving it Right – Responsible Beverage Service Program
Brassard P, et al. The effect of statins on influenza-like illness morbidity and mortality. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 2017;26(1):63–70.
Vieira MC, et al. Tofacitinib versus biologic treatments in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis who have had an inadequate response to tumor necrosis factor inhibitors: results from a network meta-analysis. Clinical Therapeutics. 2016;38(12):2628-41.
Cope S, et al. A process for assessing the feasibility of a network meta-analysis: a case study of everolimus in combination with hormonal therapy versus chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer. BMC Medicine 2014;12:93.
Smiechowski, B, et al. The use of metformin and colorectal cancer incidence in patients with type II diabetes mellitus. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2013;22(10):1877-83.
Smiechowski, B, et al. The use of metformin and the incidence of lung cancer in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(1):124-9.
Suissa D, et al. Number needed to treat is incorrect without proper time-related considerations. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2012;65(1):42-6.
Latourelle J, et al. Accurate prediction of clinical disease progression in patients with advanced fibrosis due to NASH using a Bayesian machine learning approach. EASL The Liver Congress (2018).
Shrestha, A, et al. Comparative efficacy and safety of nivolumab vs relevant treatments in pretreated non-squamous advanced non-small cell lung cancer: Results from a systematic literature review and indirect treatment comparisons of randomized controlled trials. European Journal of Cancer. 2017;72(S136).
Eberhardt, WE, et al. Comparative efficacy and safety of nivolumab vs relevant treatments in pretreated squamous advanced non-small cell lung cancer: Results from a systematic literature review and indirect treatment comparisons of randomized controlled trials. European Journal of Cancer. 2017;72(S136).
Smiechowski B, Cope S. Assessing the relationship between treatment effect and baseline risk in network meta-analysis of moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis trials. International Society For Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 17th Annual European Congress (2014).
Smiechowski B, et al. Comparability of trial populations in network meta-analyses assessing biologic treatments in moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. ISPOR 19th Annual International Meeting (2014).
Cope S, et al. Comparative efficacy of everolimus in combination with exemestane and chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer in terms of progression-free survival. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (2013).
Brassard P, et al. The Effect of Statins on Influenza Morbidity and Mortality. International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology & Therapeutic Risk Management (2013).
Buchanan R, et al. Effects of Maternal Cigarette Smoke Exposure and Methamphetamine Challenge on Brain Monoamine Concentrations in Rat Pups. Southeast IDeA Regional Meeting (2009).
Buchanan R, et al. Effects of Maternal Smoke Exposure on nAChR Subunit mRNA Expression in Brains of Peripubertal Mice. Southeast IDeA Regional Meeting (2009)
Undergraduate Research Projects
Collaborations with Arkansas State University, Arkansas Bioscience Institute, Arkansas Children’s Hospital Research Institute, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Rhodes College, Radiance Technologies, and the US Space Missile Defense Command.
- Maternal Smoking and Neuroimmune Modulation Involving Altered Expression of Nicotine Sensitive Acetylcholine Receptors in the Developing Brain and Immune System
- Carbon Nanotube Exposure by Inhalation and the Absorption, Accumulation and Excretion of Nanoparticles by Living Animals
- Novel Treatment for Smoking Dependence and Relapse
- SHADES (Standoff Hazardous Agent Detection Equipment System)
University of Southern California, School of Pharmacy (2016- Present)
Guest Lecturer: MS in Healthcare Decision Analysis Program
HCDA 525: Healthcare Literature Analysis and Applications (2016, 18, 19, 21)
HCDA 502: Comparative International Healthcare System (2018)
Guest Lecturer: BS in Biopharmaceutical Sciences Program
BPSI 411: Biopharmaceutical Marketing Analysis and Strategy (2022)
Core Topics: clinical trial, epidemiology and health economic study design, drug development, commercialization and marketing. How to navigate peer-reviewed research. How to identify and assess scientific studies and literature, research synthesis and dissemination.
Panels & Talks
New Technology Venture Accelerator (NETVA), Consulate General of France & UCLA Anderson Venture Accelerator (2022)
Speaker: Healthcare Fundraising in the United States
BioscienceLA & Netherlands Business Delegation Life Sciences & Health (2022)
Roundtable Leader: Healthcare Investors & Accelerators in the United States
Microsoft Canada (2022)
Speaker: Data-Driven Decision-Making for Health Equity & Impact
Canadian Institute of Health Research (2021)
Panelist: DSECT Symposium Alumni Panel
AnitaB.org LA Women in Tech (2019)
Panelist: Career Management Panel Discussion. The Importance of Sponsorship & Mentoring with Tech Leaders
University of Southern California (2017)
Panelist: Future of Healthcare – How Machine Learning is Shaping the Future of Healthcare
Published Articles (non-peer reviewed)
GNS Healthcare Blog (2018)
Author: Real World Evidence: How It’s Changing the Way Drugs are Developed and Valued
Thrillist Health (2016)
Contributor: Secrets that get you the cheapest prescription drugs every time